Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Don't get Wiii'd on by Nintendo

A warning to anyone who has a Nintendo Wii or intends to get one. Here is a real encounter from someone who had problems with WII during the warranty period.

A few weeks ago my son's Wii started making a horrible noise after inserting a disk and it stopped reading disks - fortunately it still had a month to go on the warranty.

I had to post it registered post to Victoria to get it fixed. Then after a couple of weeks Nintendo gave me a call and said there was actually nothing wrong with it and because there was nothing wrong it would cost $35 for the assessment. They said I could send it back to them if it still had problems and they would fix it and this time they would refund the postage.

I paid the $35 assessment fee and they sent it back to me. When I got it back I placed a Wii game disk in it and it made an even more horrible noise and the disk would not even come out. So I sent it back to Nintendo with a message to fix it properly or I will contact Consumer Affairs. After a few days they responded saying that there was in fact something wrong with the disk drive and it is not covered by the warranty. They said that the disk drive was not working because there is a foreign object in the Wii and it will cost us $120 to fix on top of the new assessment fee of $35. I asked them why they had not discovered the foreign object in their first assessment and they said it is not up to them to speculate how or when the foreign object got into the Wii.

I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the time, money and effort just to have a good Wii.

No comments:

Post a Comment